Cookies on the Discount Insurance website Our site uses cookies and other technologies so that we can remember you and understand how you use our site. OK, continue

0800 294 4522
Mon-Fri:09.00 – 19.00
Sat:09.00 – 17.00

0800 294 4522
Mon-Fri 8:30-21:00  Sat 9:00-17:00

Your Home Insurance questions answered

How much should I insure my home for?

Our home insurance is based on the rebuild value of your home, i.e. the total amount it would cost to build your home from the ground up – and not the market value. If you are unsure about the cost, it is advisable to get a surveyor in or you can visit and you will find advice on how to calculate the value.

Back to Questions

How much should I insure my contents for?

This will depend on the amount of contents you have at the property, however you should take into account how much it would cost to replace the items you are insuring. Our maximum sum insured on contents is £60,000 with added optional cover for Personal Possessions of up to 25% of the total contents sum insured.

When making the decision on what level of contents insurance you require, you should take into account how much the items would cost at current market value.

Back to Questions

Should I itemise my contents when taking out this insurance?

Not necessarily, but certain items may have limits attached, for instance there is a claim limit of 5% of the contents sum insured for any one valuable and a third of the contents sum insured for any one claim for valuables, check your Policy Wording for full terms and conditions. You may be asked to produce proof of purchase or ownership for any valuables insured.

Back to Questions

Are my bath, toilet and sink covered within buildings insurance?

Yes. All fixtures such as baths, sinks & toilets are insured under Buildings.

Back to Questions

Am I insured for accidental damage?

Accidental damage is an opt-in option, so if you have chosen it, you will be fully covered for any unforeseen accidental damage that might occur to your property.

Back to Questions

Do you offer New for Old cover?

Yes, our let property insurance is on a New for Old basis.

Back to Questions

What are my options to pay for my policy?

We accept the following: BACS payment, Direct Debit, Credit or Debit Cards or Cheques.

Back to Questions

What does "Is the property used for business purposes" mean?

This is asking whether a business is operating from the property to be insured, such as a hairdressing service being offered from the premises. Clerical work, where no registered business is present and no outside parties are involved is not classified as business use.

Back to Questions

Would you charge an administration fee if I sold my property and wanted to transfer my policy to my new address?

We cannot transfer Home insurance policies, however, as long as you were staying with us, we would cancel your old policy and set up a new one without charging a cancellation fee. We may also be able to offer the option to pro rata your new policy to coincide with your original expiry date or set up a new 12 month policy.

Back to Questions

Should I tell you if I am having some work/renovations carried out at my home?

Yes, any renovations should be noted on your policy, so you should inform us as soon as possible. If the renovations require you and your family to move out of the property for the duration, we can still offer you insurance, with some limitations. We will remind you to make sure that regardless of whether you move out or stay in, during the renovations, please make sure that the property is made secure at all times.